2015 marks the 12th year that we support the Green Month Campaign. First started in Japan in June 1973, today it’s a Global environmental awareness campaign across all Toyota activities and entities.
We are aiming at engaging employees and raising their environmental awareness on top of actual environmental activities that we undertake.
Starting from the 1st of June, Toyota Europe’s Atrium is equipped with 3 bio-zones that represent the efforts towards biodiversity at Toyota Manufacturing UK plant, Toyota Parts Centre Europe and our headquarters, Toyota Motor Europe.
To enumerate just a few remarkable points about each:
Toyota Manufacturing UK:
- -Has formed the 1st automotive industry partnership with Royal Botanic Gardens Kew, (UK),
- -This partnership supports biodiversity and environmental excellence,
- -The site is surrounded by 584,000 m2 of territory with 401 recorded species cohabitating in harmony (including 16 species of conservation importance).
Toyota (GB) PLC:
- -TGB has aligned with the relationship with Royal Botanic Gardens Kew to improve the Biodiversity at our Headquarters in Surrey.
- -With the assistance of Surrey Wildlife Trust, the Eco-HQ concept took inspiration from the native species commonly found on the chalk soil of the North Downs.
- -The site now comprises areas of Wild Flower Meadow, an Orchard, comprising of local fruit varieties and a wildlife pond.
Toyota Parts Centre Europe:
- -Together with an environmental partner Natuurpunt we are sowing grain fields to ensure that local Yellowhammers have enough food during the winter,
- -The surrounding territory is equipped with insect hotels, where insects can find food and nest,
- -We have created a pond on the site that brought a share of extra life – dragonflies, damselflies, frogs, salamanders and bats.
Toyota Motor Europe:
- -Biodiversity programme actions have led to a number of discoveries; Brown Argus, Xyphosia Miliaria, Bombus Terrestris, Bullfinch, Comma Butterfly, Hobby, Common Blue, Small Heath, Uropha Cardui, Peacock, Ophrys Apifera and Meadow Brown.
Oh, and the green benches by the way, are not so simple…
…they were made by our green partner Govaplast with recycled plastics that were originally used in the Prius PHEVs that operated in trial programmes throughout Europe. A true recycling BENCHmark, don’t you think?
But there is more to come, we will keep you updated on many other upcoming Green activities throughout the month of June.